Monday, August 24, 2009

Some Closing Thoughts From ApCo 2009


The Cast of The Taming of The Shrew - Apprentice Company 2009, Photo by Jeff Frazier
Demark Grant, ApCo student 2009
Father Ryan School class of 2009, entering University of Tennessee, Knoxville

"The difference between school and life? In school, you're
taught a lesson and then given a test.

In life, you're given a test that teaches
you a lesson."

And man, what a lesson it was! Before entering ApCo, I was hot off the heels ofportraying Seabee #7 in South Pacific, and prior to that, embracing the lunacy of aboundless General Harrington in M*A*S*H. Shrew was going to be my first non-bit role, and in an arena like no other: the fabled, oft mythologized (Nashville)Centennial Park. I had never played an unabashed romantic like Lucentio. Many of my early ideas centered on comic execution, rather than narrative necessity. So Brenda (our wonderful director) had to steer me back on course a few times, inform me of my narrative function, and remind me that the comedy of the piece is rooted in the earnestness of the character's attempting to achieve their objectives, rather than something that may look funny but deter from that authenticity. The most significant evolution has been the maturation of my craft as a live performer. Theater is focus, focus, focus. Undoubtedly, I execute my art with a higher level of truth, precision, and clarity. I must say: I am going to miss the time spent this summer as an Apprentice Company member. There's nothing like being a member of a talented troupe and opening a show every night to a crowd of over a thousand people.


Joseph Stanley, Senior at McGavock High School
Apprentice Company has been a wonderful and exciting experience. I have gotten to know and befriend many others who share my passion. I have been able to play with an ensemble full of mature, intelligent, and exuberant young adults. As a young man with a passion for acting, ApCo has assured me that this is what I live for, and what I want to do for the rest my life.